Mn GLBT Educational Fund - Sponsoring a Scholarship
How you can sponsor your own scholarship!
Many people are interested in sponsoring a Scholarship, either in memory
of a special person, as a project for a professional or social group, or
just as something they can do to provide assistance & recognition to the
However, these people are often not ready to take on all the
specific tasks that are required to effectively offer & award a
scholarship; tasks such as printing & distributing an application
form, accepting applications, obtaining school transcripts and
references, checking these, evaluating applications & choosing a
winner, and making payment arrangements with the winner's school.
By working together with the Educational Fund, people are able to offer
a scholarship of their own. They take charge of raising the funds for
their own scholarship, and specifying the selection criteria for choosing
the scholarship winner, while the Educational Fund takes care of all of
the mechanics of actually offering & awarding the scholarship. This is
what we know how to do, since we have been offering our own scholarships
The following section indicates how this arrangement works -- it shows
who does what parts of the job.
The sponsor agrees...
The Educational Fund agrees...
- ..to raise the funds needed to sponsor a scholarship award. Basic amounts are:
$ 550 ($ 500 scholarship + $ 50 for costs)
$ 825 ($ 750 scholarship + $ 75 for costs)
$1100 ($1000 scholarship + $100 for costs)
$1650 ($1500 scholarship + $150 for costs)
(Larger amounts are fine, too! You can set up an endowment fund to create
a continuing permanant scholarship -- this takes about $20,000 or more to start.)
- ..to provide award criteria for the scholarship selection committee.
Some examples might be:
- Special consideration given to graduates of the St. Paul public schools system.
- Limited to graduates of the St. Paul public schools system.
- Special consideration will be given to students planning to
major in the field of journalism or mass communications.
- Limited to female high school students or 1st or 2nd year
undergraduates majoring in the physical sciences.
- Limited to male high school graduating seniors, with special
consideration given to students planning to major in animal
science or pre-veterinary programs.
(Please remember that the more limits you put on your scholarships,
the harder it will be to find an appropriate student to receive the award.
You might consider saying "special consideration given to" rather than "limited to".)
- ..to send a person to our Awards ceremony to present their award.
- ..to handle printing, distribution, and promotion of applications for the award.
- ..to collect & verify completed applications, transcripts, and references.
- ..to select an award recipient, based on your specified criteria.
- ..to hold a public Awards Presentation Ceremony.
- ..to administrate payment of the award to the winner or their school.
If you have any interest in sponsoring a scholarship, please do not
hesitate to contact us for more information. We can be reached at:
MN GLBT Educational Fund Sponsorships
1409 Willow St Suite 305
Minneapolis, MN 55403-3251
|Our Phone number: 612-870-1806
|Our Fax number: 612-871-6587
Return to Mn GLBT Educational Fund home page
Last updated on Oct 15, 2002