Minneapolis Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
This is the archived home page for the Minneapolis branch of the the
Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (www.mpls.dfl.org).
2009 Endorsement Process:
In 2009, the Minneapolis DFL will hold Precinct Caucuses, 13 Ward Conventions,
and a City-Wide Convention. They will endorse candidates for 13 City Council
Wards, 6 Park Board Districts, Mayor, Board of Estimate and Taxation (2 at-large seats),
and 3 at-large Park Board seats.
Here is a link to the current information on the
2009 Endorsement Process
[Additional events can be found on the State DFL
-- (Enter "Minneapolis" in the City field and leave other fields blank.)]
Current Party Officers
|2009 Officers: |
|Chair ||Dan McConnell ||h:612-617-4234 ||3213 41st Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55406-2234
|Associate Chair ||Roann Cramer ||h:612-804-7436 ||1914 W 49th St
Minneapolis, MN 55419-5226
|Secretary ||Bill Richardson ||c:612-799-9071 ||234 Bedford St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3631
|Treasurer ||Tim Bonham ||h:612-721-1007 ||4309 30th Ave So
Minneapolis, MN 55406-3710
|Fundraising Director ||Andy Hauer ||h:612-332-7623 ||19 1st St S #B-1203
Minneapolis, MN 55401-1839
|Affirmative Action Officer||Ken Woodard ||h:612-874-8134 ||2625 Portland Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55407-1010
|At-Large Director ||Mary Whitney ||h:612-721-2048 ||3408 Minnehaha Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55406-2625
|At-Large Director ||Ken Vreeland ||h:612-722-8017 ||3224 22nd Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55407-2416
|Constitution Comm. Chair ||Gary Farland ||h:612-824-6744 ||3145 Humboldt Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55408-2559
Link to previous Party Officers for
current Mpls Central Committee Members.
Link to current
Senate District Chairs in Minneapolis.
Endorsed candidates for previous years are listed here:
|Mailing Address:||Minneapolis DFL Party |
| ||P.O. Box 58-1396 |
| ||Minneapolis, MN 55458-1396 |
The Minneapolis DFL operates under it's
Constitution & Bylaws
as amended at the City Convention May 13th, 2006.
(Previous versions of the Constitution are available:
2004 Constitution & Bylaws,
2001 Constitution& Bylaws,
1997 Constitution & Bylaws.)
The Minneapolis DFL Party has set up an electronic distribution list, open to
any interested member. If you are interested in joining the list, please
go to Yahoo groups: dfl-mpls.
Past Events (Party Conventions & Meetings)
- Ward Coordinator Training Sessions
Two training sessions will be held, on the South & North sides of the city:
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 6:30pm at Powderhorn Park, 3400 15th Ave S
Saturday, January 31, 2009 at 10:00am at Creekview Park, 5001 Irving Ave N
- Minneapolis DFL 2008 endorsed School Board candidates
- City Endorsing Convention will be
Edison High School
700 22nd Ave NE
Saturday, May 17, 2008
Registration opens at 9am, Convention convens at 10am.
Main Agenda items: Endorse for 3 School Board seats, elect City DFL Officers
Official Call (pdf, 60k)
- City Delegate Lists from 2006 are available from the Minneapolis
DFL Party, for a fee to cover the expenses of maintaining these lists.
Fees are: 15¢ per name for anyone, 10¢ per name for declared Minneapolis
School Board candidates, and free for endorsed candidates.
Lists available are:
2006 Delegates & Alternates: 1578 names, 97% with phone, 66% with emails.
2006 Delegates only: 1080 names, 97% with phone, 68% with emails.
2006 City Convention Attendees: 690 names, 100% with phone, 70% with emails.
Contact City Treasurer Tim Bonham
email@example.com (or phone 612-721-1007)
to obtain a copy of these lists.
- City Delegates are chosen at Precinct Caucuses. These are
separate from the Senate District and Hennepin County delegates.
They endorse candidates for the Minneapolis School Board. There
is one City delegate for every 4 Senate District deletates.
For specific numbers for each ward and precinct, see
City Delegate Numbers.
- Minneapolis School Board Community Forum Mon, July 24, 6:30-8pm at
Franklin Library, 1314 Franklin Ave E. Share your thoughts and concerns with the
four DFL endorsed candidates for School Board.
For more info, contact Sarah Greenfield, at
or phone 306-7257.
- Minneapolis DFL Blue City Fundraiser
Tue, July 25, 5-8pm at Rossi's Blue
Star Room 80 S 9th St (between Marquette Ave and Nicollet Mall on 9th Street)
Featuring Jazz and Blues Singer Charmin Michelle
With promotions & drink specials by Stoli Blueberry Vodka
Please help the "Blue-est City" in Minnesota
take the lead in winning back the State in November!
Come meet the DFL-Endorsed Candidates
Hosts: Minnesota DFL Chair Brian Melendez, Hennepin County Commissioner Peter
McLaughlin, City Council Members Gary Schiff, Ralph Remington and Betsy Hodges,
Minnesota State Legislator Diane Loeffler, Minneapolis DFL Chair Keesha Gaskins
(More to Come!!).
$50/person Suggested Donation (Your donation to the Minneapolis DFL is fully
eligible for the $50 per person / $100 per married couple through the Minnesota
Political Contribution Refund Program)
For more info, contact Keesha Gaskins, City DFL Chair at
- Chris Stewart Funraiser Party Fri, June 16, 6-8pm at the home of
Sarah Greenfield, 1910 E 36th St in Minneapolis.
We are at a crossroads in our public schools. We will elect four new board members
next year and they will help choose a new superintendent. Chris, with his passion
for social justice, and background working with families in poverty, consulting
with successful businesses, and raising two sons, will be an essential part of
Whether a parent, grandparent, not-yet-parent, artist/organizer in the schools, or
just a believer in public education, please come by for drinks, light food, and an
engaging conversation about the future of our schools.
If you can't make it but would like to support Chris's campaign, you can volunteer
and donate online at www.betterminneapolis.com, or call or email me.
For more info, contact Sarah Greenfield, Campaign Manager at
or phone 306-7257.
- CD5 Unity Fundraiser Fri, June 2, 5:30-8pm at the home of Brian Melendez,
1777 Dupont Ave S, Minneapolis.
Please join hosts Rep. Connie Bernardy, Rep. Frank Hornstein, Rep. Jean Wagenius,
Rep. Jim Davnie, Rep. Karen Clark, Rep. Lyn Carlson, Rep. Margaret
Anderson-Kelliher, Rep. Paul Thissen, Rep. Neva Walker, Rep. Phyllis Kahn, Rep.
Ron Latz, Rep. Sandra Peterson, Rep. Barb Goodwin, Senator Jane Ranum, Senator
Larry Pogemiller, Senator Linda Berglin, Senator Linda Higgins, Senator Satveer
Chaudhary, Senator Scott Dibble, and DFL endorsed candidate Patricia Torres Ray,
Minneapolis Mayor RT Rybak, Hennepin County Commissioners Peter McLaughlin and
Gail Dorfman, City Council members Don Samuels, Gary Schiff, Ralph Remington,
Robert Lilligren, Elizabeth Glidden and Betsy Hodges, School Board member Peggy
Flanagan and Library Board member Alan Hooker, Fifth District residents and DFL
party leaders: Brian Melendez, State Party Chair, Donna Cassutt, State Party
Associate Chair, Directors Chris Montana, Ken Foxworth, Loki Anderson, Mohammed
Jibrell, Rick Stafford, Dave Lee, Nena Street, Sue Ponsford, and Joel Bergstrom
for a DFL UNITY FUNDRAISER in honor of Keith Ellison DFL Endorsed Candidate for
Suggested contribution $40, more if you can, less if you can't!
We hope to see you there!
- School Board Candidates Forum Mon, May 22, (time to be announced)
at Jordan Park Community School, 1501 30th Ave N.
Hosted by the Jordan Park PTA.
- School Board Candidates Forum Thur, May 18, (time to be announced)
at Windom Spanish Immersion School, 5821 Wentworth Ave S (west of Nicollet)
Hosted by Windom School PTA and The Resource Center of the Americas.
- School Board Candidates Forum Wed, May 3rd, 6:30-8:30pm,
at Anne Sullivan School, 3100 E 28th St. Hosted by Anne Sullivan PTA.
- City Endorsing Convention -- Location changed! Now to be held Saturday, May
13th, 2006, at Patrick Henry High school, 4320 Newton Ave N (44th & Newton), with
registration beginning at 9am and convening at 10am. Change is due to concerns
about fitting all the possible delegates into the space at the other location.
Official Call (text)
Official Call (Word)
Official Call (png)
Proposed Agenda (png)
Summary of Constitution changes
Proposed new Constitution
Minutes of the Convention
- List of known DFL candidates for Mpls School board
is available here.
- Conventions (Senate District, City, County, CD5) see the
Convention Schedule for a
list of the schedules for this year.
- Minneapolis DFL Information for Candidates on the Convention Call Mailing:
Mail Insert Info for 2006 Candidates
MS Word version
- City Endorsing Convention for Mpls School Board (4 seats) --
to be held Saturday, May 13th, 2006, at Patrick Henry High school, 4320 Newton Ave N,
with registration beginning at 9am and convening at 10am.
2006 Delegate Numbers for a
list of the numbers of delegates allocated to each precinct.
- Third Ward Summit Task Force Sat, April 29th, 10am-noon at
Eastside Neighborhood Services, 1700 2nd St NE.
Why? Continue to build a common vision and plan for the new Third Ward
Who? You, Third Ward residents, businesses, and community organizations
Elected officials representing the Third Ward & City of Minneapolis staff.
What? We've had a successful Summit. Now as a stakeholder, will you continue
to help set priorities and to develop a plan that will guide our efforts on
behalf of the diverse Third Ward? We will lay the foundation for a
framework of initiatives, problem-solving, and accountability around
mutually agreed-upon goals and objectives that the City Council, the
neighborhoods and other appropriate agencies agree to work on now and
over the next four years.
For more info call Council Member Diane Hofstede's office, 673-2203 or email
- School Board Candidates Forum Thur, April 27, 6:30-8:30pm
at Ramsey Fine Arts Magnet School, 1 W 50th Street (50th and Nicollet).
Hosted by Area C Working Group. Moderated by League of Women Voters.
- School Board Candidates Forum Wed, April 19th, 7-9pm
at Eastside Neighborhood Services, 1700 2nd St NE. Hosted by Public Education Northeast
Organization. So far, at least 11 candidates will be present.
For more info contact Dean DeGroot, 612-789-9596 or email
- Mpls DFL Central Committee Meeting Wed, April 19th, at 6pm
at Pershing Park, 3523 W 48th St. This will be a planning session for
the City Convention, and the organizational meetings of the Convention Committees.
People willing to serve on these committees (Arrangements, Credentials, Constitution,
Nominations, Platform/Resolutions, and Rules) should attend this meeting.
Central Committee meets at 6pm; Committees expected to meet approximately 6:30pm.
Items for this meeting:
Scanner voting proposal (pdf)
For more info contact David Weinlick at 612-928-4837 or email
- CD 5 Central Committee Meeting Monday, March 20th, at
Hennepin County Government Center Auditorium, 300 6th St S in Minneapolis
6:00 PM Fundraising Committee Meeting
6:30 PM "State of Minnesota's Voting System" with Mark Halvorson, director of Citizens for Election Integrity**
7:15 PM Central Committee Meeting, including
Officers Reports and
CD5 Convention Planning.
For more info contact Amanda Tempel at 612-978-6963 or email
- Ward 3 Summit hosted by City Council Member Diane Hofstede, on Saturday,
Mar 4th, 2006, 9am-noon, at East Side Neighborhood Services, 1700 2nd St NE.
For more info contact Lorna Hanson, 673-2203 or email
- Precinct Caucuses held in your local neighborhood on Tuesday, March 7th, 2006,
from 7pm-9pm. See
Caucus Locations here.
If you can't be present at your Precinct Caucus, you can send an absentee letter.
A sample letter is available:
MS Word version of letter
PDF version of letter
ASCII text version of letter
- Chair's Message on City Delegates to be chosen at Precinct Caucuses.
For more info, see
- Precinct Caucus Training Sessions various events offering training for
people new to Precinct Caucuses are being offered around the city. Anybody is
welcome at any of them.
- Sat, Feb 18, 6-8pm, at International Coffee Shop, 1428 Nicollet Ave S.
Especially for the Somali Community. Presenters: Yassin Ahmed, Mary
Whitney & DyShaun Muhammad. The Somali Community is invited to meet local
leaders of the DFL Party and learn how to participate and engage in the
March 7 precinct caucuses. We'll be doing role plays and have examples of
the materials you may encounter at a caucus meeting. Come learn about
caucuses and engage with the party on building community strength through
the caucus process. Refreshments will be provided
For more info, contact Yassin Ahmed at 651-249-1389.
- Sat, Feb 18, 10am-noon, at CWA Hall, 3521 E. Lake St.
For more info, contact Ann Friedrich at 612-333-1057 or email
- Sat, Feb 25, 2pm-3pm at Washburn Library,5244 Lyndale Ave S. Training led
by Jeff Lomonaco (Asst. Prof. of Political Science) and David Weinlick
(DFL Chair, Minneapolis and SD63). This session is aimed at new
caucus-goers, but everyone is welcome.
For more info, contact David Weinlich at
- 2006 Mn Straw Poll Gathering With the Groovy Rock Sounds of ROADSHOW
featuring Billy Johnson. On Saturday evening, Feb 25, from 7-11pm, at Local 879
UAW Hall 2191 Ford Pkwy in St. Paul.
What the heck is the Minnesota Straw Poll? The Minnesota Straw Poll is an
opportunity for DFL activists and friends from around the state to meet the
candidates prior to the caucuses, dance, have fun, and, most importantly, cast a
non-binding preference ballot for the DFL candidate of their choice. The Saint
Paul DFL is proud to be your host for these festivities.
Who's all going to be there? Well, you are. All DFL candidates seeking the DFL
endorsement for United States Senate, Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of
State and Auditor have also been invited and each will have an opportunity to
address the crowd.
How much is this thing going to cost me? $10 to get in at the door, and there
will be a cash bar, games, door prizes, and other goodies for sale. Tickets may
also be purchased or obtained in advance from some of the candidates.
For more info, contact Stu Alger at
- SD62 Candidate Forum featuring candidates for the open Senate seate. Thu,
Feb 23, from 7pm-9pm, at CWA Hall, 3521 E Lake St.
Moderator Adam Duininck will take questions from the audience, so come prepared!
Participating candidates: Scott Benson, Alex Eaton, Matt Gladue, Earl Netwal,
Patricia Ray, & Tina Sanz.
For more info, contact Adam Duininck at 724-9052 or email
- MYDFL Kickoff and Convention Saturday, Feb 04, 11:30am-4pm, at South High
school, 3131 19th Ave S in Minneapolis.
All Minnesota Democrats age 35 and under are welcome to come and participate in
the convention, run for officer positions (President, Vice-President, Secretary,
Treasurer, Affirmative Action Officer, YDA National Committeeman and YDA National
Committeewoman) and vote in elections. We look forward to seeing you on Feb. 4!
Spread the word to all your friends!
For more info, see
- SD 59 meeting Tuesday, Jan 24th, 2006, 7pm, at Logan Park,
690 13th Ave NE.
For more info contact Rebecca Yanisch,
- Central Committee Meeting at will be held Wednesday, Dec 14th, beginning at
6:30pm in the Jury Assembly Room at Hennepin County Government Center, 300 S 6th St.
Included on the Agenda are bylaws governing the 2006 precinct Caucuses & City
Convention, and filling vacancies on the Platform (Ward 2, 4, 8, &10) &
Constitution (Ward 1, 2, 4, 9, & 10) Commissions.
- Central Committee Meeting at will be held Thursday, Nov 10th, beginning at
6:30pm in the Hennepin County Government Center, 300 S 6th St.
Call & Agenda
- Ward 5 Complaint Filed The Mpls DFL has filed a complaint against the
Natalie Johnson Lee Committee in Ward 5, reporting that the committee illegally
accepted and deposited Corporate Campaign Contributions.
Here is a copy of the
Complaint. (PDF, 777K).
- Central Committee Meeting at will be held Thursday, Sept 15th, beginning at
7pm in the Hennepin County Government Center, 300 S 6th St.
Main Agenda item will be consideration of any changes in endorsements based on
Primary Election results.
Call & Agenda
- Coordinated Joint Campaign Committee Meeting will be held Wednesday, June 29th, beginning at 5:30pm
in the Hennepin County Government Center, 300 S 6th St.
- Central Committee Meeting will be held Wednesday, June 29th, beginning at 7pm
in the Hennepin County Government Center, 300 S 6th St.
- The City Convention was held on Saturday, May 14th at Augsburgs Melby Hall.
Schedule & results of 2005 Conventions.
2005 DFL Endorsed Candidates.
- Minneapolis DFL Information for Candidates:
FAQ's for 2005 Candidates
Mail Insert Info for 2005 Candidates (2nd Mailing)
- Ward Conventions will be held on all 5 Saturdays in April.
Detailed Schedule & locations of 2005 Conventions.
The City Convention will be held on Saturday, May 14th at Melby Hall on the Augsburg Campus.
2005 City Proposed Agenda
2005 City Proposed Rules
2005 City Convention Official Call
MS Word version
2005 Standard Convention Rules.
MS Word version.
2005 Standard Convention Agenda.
MS Word version.
MS Word condensed version.
2005 Central Committee Resolution on Rules.
- DFL Candidate Forum for Minneapolis Park Board
Commissioner-At-Large. will be held on Thursday, May 5th 7-8pm
at Martin Luther King Park Recreation Center, 4055 Nicollet Ave S.
For more information see
- SD 62 Forum for candidates for
Park Board, both 4th & 5th district and at large, Library Board
and Board of Estimate and Taxation.
will be held on Tue May 10th at 7pm at CWA Hall, 3521 E. Lake St in Minneapolis.
This will provide the candidates
with a final opportunity to address a hopefully large number of
delegates prior to the city convention on the 14th.
For more information please contact Earl Netwal at
- City Convention Committees organizing meeting.
Monday, May 2nd, 6:30pm, Hennepin County Government Center, Jury Assembly Room,
300 S. 6th St., Minneapolis.
- Ward 8 Forum for candidates for City Council.
will be held on Thu Apr 21st at 7pm at Phelps Park, 701 E. 39th St.
For more information please contact David Brauer at
- Mayoral Candidate Debate will be held on Thu Apr 14th
starting at 7pm on the 2nd floor of the United Labor Centre, 312
Central Ave SE. Hosted by the Minneapolis Central Labor Union Council,
AFL-CIO. All interested DFL'ers, union members, and other citizens are
invited to attend!
For more information please contact Kyle at
- Ward 8 Candidate Forum will be held on Sat Apr 9th from
10am-noon at Powderhorn Park Building,
3400 15th Ave S. The Forum is free and open to the public.
For more information contact Tammy at
- Ward 8 Candidate Forum will be held on Sat Apr 2nd from
noon-4pm at Sabathani Community Center, 38th & 3rd Ave S, hosted by 8th
Ward Seniors and Youth. Come and hear from candidates for Ward 8 City
Council. Schedule: Music: Noon - 1pm; Candidate Forum: 1-3pm; Meet the
Candidates: 3-4pm. Come and hear from candidates for Ward 8 City
For more information call 612-695-8879.
- Affirmative Action Ad-Hoc Committee Forming!
To help ensure we are working toward making the Minneapolis DFL as open
and inclusive as possible to everyone, we are forming an ad-hoc
Affirmative Action Committee. This working group will be working to
identify the critical affirmative action issues facing the Minneapolis
DFL and help bring solutions for implementation to the table.
If you are interested in joining this group, please send me an email by
the end of the day on Tuesday March 29 with your name and contact
information. We will be scheduling an initial organizing meeting soon
Please contact me via email with any questions or concerns.
Mary T. Whitney, Affirmative Action Officer – Minneapolis DFL
- Ward 3 Forum will be held on Tue Mar 29th at 7pm at
Bottineau Park Recreation Center, 2000 NE 2nd St in Minneapolis. This is a public
question and answer forum for the two candidates seeking the DFL endorsement for
the Ward 3 City Council seat.
For more information please contact Liz Wielinski at
firstname.lastname@example.org or phone
- Ward 2 Forum will be held on Tue Mar 22nd at 7pm at Van Cleve Park
Recreation Center, 901 15th AV SE in Minneapolis. This is a public question and
answer forum for all three candidates seeking the DFL endorsement for the Ward 2
City Council seat being vacated by retiring Councilman Paul Zerby.
For more information please contact Harrison Nelson at 612-378-5377.
- Minneapolis DFL Precinct Caucuses were held Tuesday, March 1st at 7pm.
Here are the
where they were held.
Sample Absentee Letter for Precinct Caucus.
Mail Insert Info for 2005 Candidates
- Theatre Screening: "At the River I stand" (free).
Thursday, Feb 24th, 7pm (come early to socilize & get a good seat) at
the Riverview Theatre, 3800 42nd Ave S (8 block east of Minnehaha
Avenue on 38th Street, phone 612-729-7369).
At the River I Stand is an important telling of the story of a
local labor dispute in Memphis, 1968, that grew into a collision of
events that culminated with the tragic loss of the life of Dr. Martin
Luther King, Jr. and changed history. The documentary brings into sharp
relief issues that are just as relevant today: the framework of the
connection between economic and civil rights, the debate over violent
vs. nonviolent change, and the demand for full inclusion of African
Americans in American life.
Sponsored by Senate District 62 and AFSCME Council 5.
Screening is free, but donations will be accepted.
For more information, contact Tina Sanz at
- Mayoral Candidates Debate, Wednesday, Feb 23rd, 7-9pm, at
Washburn High School, 201 West 49th St.
Sponsored by Senate District 60.
For more info, contact Joel Bergstrom at
- Mayoral Candidates Forum, Saturday, Feb 12th, 7-9pm, at Minneapolis Urban League,
2100 Plymouth Ave N.
Sponsored by Senate District 58 and DFL Progressive Caucus. For more info,
contact Faith Kidder at
or call 612-760-2512.
- Dec 13, 2004 Central Committee Meeting re: plans for 2005 Caucuses & Conventions.
- Sep 21, 2004 Central Committee Meeting re: post-Primary School Board endorsement.
- Sept 14, 2003 Primary Election - DFL Sample Ballot
Sample Ballot here (PDF, 132K).
- 2004 Precinct Action Plan (for Precinct Chairs)
See this plan here (MS Word, 168K),
or this plan here (text, 48K).
- May 15, 2004 City Convention - Results
are available here.
More details on the
convention are listed here.
- Each of the six Senate Districts in Minneapolis held a convention during the
months of March & April.
See here for specific dates and locations..
- 2004 Minneapolis DFL Convention dates & locations are listed here:
- 2004 Open Meetings/Discussion about DFL future:
See here for more information.
Monday Jan 20, 6:30 pm, East Side Neighborhood Service Inc., 1929 NE 2nd St
- 2003 projects -- Open letter to delegates
Open letter text.
- Jan/Feb, 2004 Scheduled Campaign Events
for our Ward 3 endorsed candidate, Olin Moore
(Pre-Primary Campaign Events)
- Monday Dec 9, 2002 -- Ward 3 Special Convention
- Nov 26, 2002 Central Committee Meeting re: scheduling special 3rd Ward Endorsing Convention.
Special Meeting Notice
- June 1, 2002 DFL School Board Endorsing Convention
- 2002 Minneapolis DFL Convention dates & locations are listed here:
- Mar 27, 2002 Central Committee Meeting re: scheduling 2002 City Convention
- March 5th, 2002 Minneapolis Precinct Caucuse locations are listed here:
2002 Precinct Caucus Locations
- Dec 2001 Central Committee Meeting.
- Sep 13, 2001 Central Committee Meeting re: Post-Primary Endorsements.
- Jul 30, 2001 Central Committee Meeting re: 8th Ward Endorsement
- Jun 28, 2001 - Park District #2 Special Endorsing Convention
- Jun 12, 2001 Central Committee Meeting re: 2nd Park District Endorsement.
- 2001 DFL Endorsing Conventions,
including the minutes or results from those conventions.
- May 5th, 2001 DFL City Convention
- 2001 - list of known candidates for the 2001 election:
Last updated on May 20, 2009